We launched our new physics engine back on the 12th of August 2021 (two weeks ago). One of the advantages of the new physics was that it would enable the team at RGT Cycling to adapt it, and even build on it more effectively and efficiently.
In addition to improving the drafting and movement (which we still plan to do when it has had more time to soak in), we’re also launching our first “add-on” to the new physics.
The premise of the Ride Together feature is simple;
Users should be able to ride together from the start to the end of a group ride, regardless of their ability.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Events that have this featured enabled will start the same as any other group ride or group training ride, the main difference is that regardless of an individuals power output they will stay part of the larger peloton.
You need to experience a group ride to get a good feeling for how it behaves but we think it feels natural and intuitive and makes the group ride experience much more enjoyable when you want to stay formed as a larger group.
How Does It Work?
- The equation that works out the group speed is complicated, but in essence a calculation uses
- The groups real average speed
- The groups real max speed
- The gradient and road conditions
- Undisclosed additional factors
- A riders position in the group can be influenced
- If a rider accelerates they move up
- If a rider coasts they move back
- If a rider has an input of less than 50 watts they will get dropped from the group
- It is almost impossible to get out of the group by attacking
- Bots are part of this feature
- If a rider loses contact with the group and re-joins them, they fall back in to the Ride Together feature
One point that is worth making at this point is the feature design discourages flyers from negatively impacting the event. It has been engineered to make breaking away difficult and if the group consensus is to wait for dropped riders, the rubber band type effect will slow everyone down until the rider gets back in.
The first iteration of this is now live in all Breakfast Club and Chat Laps group rides. We will also be working with organizers should they wish to try this out in their own events.
Finally, there is a feedback form in the event descriptions and, as always, we need to hear from you.
2 thoughts on “RIDE TOGETHER”
Hello, I do the Breakfast Club ride almost daily, and don’t feel comfortable with this new feature. I like riding with stronger riders,as it improves my ride. If I get dropped, I can always wait for the bots to reel me in. It also hampers the group dynamics. My 2 cents.
In each event that incorporates the ‘No Drop’ feature, there is a feedback link on the description in the Phone App sign up page 🙂
You could also send your comments marked ‘ No Drop Feedback’ to firstname.lastname@example.org 🙂
Thanks for visiting these pages 🙂